Wednesday, March 13, 2013

No AK = Good Day!!!


Today was not only an eventful day, but an excellent day. My morning started with a pleasant cloth bath and some much needed tooth brushing.  Since I haven’t showered in about three days this was so refreshing. In fact, I think I’ll do it again tomorrow J.

Getting out of the house today was so awesome—even though it was for a doc appt. I rolled my chair to Arianna’s car with a bit of trepidation as to what was going to come today. My stump had been aching for three days, and I had been running a 101 temperature almost all week. My worry was a possible infection.

        We met A.J. Westford (my prosthesis clinician) in the cast room at the doctor’s office. He asked me some questions about my pain, how the cast was, and how I twisted it so bad. (I twisted my cast to the left a few days ago after falling on it).
Dr. Pakzad (my surgeon) strolled into the cast room and wasted no time cutting into my cast, up the right side—down the left. He gently removed the dressings and nonstick pads from my wound. And to my surprise, Dr. Pakzad said it looked extraordinarily clean and without infection. We celebrated a little, and a colossal weight was lifted off my shoulders.

        After they removed my plaster cast, Andrew Westford brought in another hard cast. The new hard cast is absolutely, positively, 150 percently, BETTER! It is lighter, which makes it substantially easier to move from chair to chair, couch to chair, and crutch anywhere, etcetera. I can take it off at anytime meaning: I CAN ITCH WHENEVER I FEEL NECESSARY! It is all around, from front to back, a better, top notch nub protector.

        I have a long way to go but this marks the start of physical therapy/everything. My knee won’t bend down. The muscles and tendons are tight and must be stretched out. I worked on it for about a half an hour today and it is already feeling better. I’m so ecstatic about the months to come, the challenges I will face, the pain I will break through and the successes I will seize. I didn’t even have to use my AK, Today was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you son, as a mom, it breaks me sometimes to think of all you have had to endure since a child, but the promises that God has made to you, and to me it's what gets me through and brings me peace. I am so proud of you, and I am so thrilled to be a part of what God is and will be doing for you and through you. Never forget that no matter what your circumstances are, or what you face, because you will be facing some tough things coming, that God never changes, He loves you, He is always good, and nothing but good comes from HIM!!!!! You are loved so much, my prayer is that you see God through all of this and praise Him in your times of good and bad. The Lord has given you such a wonderful heart, and a strong will to get things accomplished, I have no doubt you will conquer anything that comes your way because of Christ who lives inside of you!!!!!
    ♥ Love Mama ♥

    ReplyDelete